What’s for supper? Stuffed Peppers! If your garden is doing better than mine (which is everyone else in the world, I think), I bet you have some extra zucchini that you are trying to reinvent into something other than zucchini bread. The zucchini makes these peppers light and moist. I came up with this recipe a few summers ago, and it’s been our favorite ever since.
Here’s what you will need for making these Summertime Stuffed Peppers:
- 3 lbs. Ground Beef
- 1 cup Rice – cooked (can be brown or white)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium Zucchini, grated
- 2 small ( or 1 medium) Onions, grated
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 or 8 Basil Leaves*
- marjoram, Thyme, Oregano (totally 1 teaspoon fresh) *
- Fresh Parsley (about 4 Tablespoons, chopped)*
- Tomato Sauce (one 20 oz. can and one 15 oz. can)
- 7 Bell peppers remove seeds, stem and ribs, cut in half
*If you do not have fresh herbs, you can used dried and here are the measurements for those:
- For every Tablespoon Fresh = Teaspoon Dried
- 1/2 Teaspoon Each: Dried marjoram, Dried Thyme, Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon dried Basil
- 4 Teaspoons dried Parsley
Okay, now that we have that figured out here are the instructions for putting it all together:
Mince together all of the fresh herbs. Grate zucchini and onion.
In large bowl add: Ground Beef, Grated Zucchini, Grated Onion, Seasoned Salt, Black Pepper, Worcestershire Sauce, Cooked Rice, Minced Herbs, and Beaten Egg.
Mix well until everything is incorporated.
I like to cut my peppers into halves. If you would rather leave yours whole, that’s okay too.
Cover tightly with foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for 2 hours.
After baking for 2 hours, remove foil, drain excess grease from pan and pour tomato sauce over peppers.
Leave uncovered and bake for another 30 minutes.
This batch will make approximately 7 servings. (2 halves per person) I like to serve corn muffins with these peppers.
This recipe can easily be cut in half, or freeze the extra for another meal. We like to have leftovers, they are great for lunches. Enjoy!